Monday, August 16, 2010

idea guys don't have mechanics

I will always be an idea guy first. I used to think it was about some supreme moment of inspiration but it isn't really that at all. Most ideas are un extraordinary. That is to say they are extrally just ordinary.
The chief impetus for getting out of bed in the morning is to kick, scratch and bite the way to making an okay idea into a great concept. Let's get on with the heroics, shall we?
It all started with comic books and drawing them. I'd make a character and give him a cool name and superpower...
then another and another until i had many characters only drawn once, and all the combat was all not wasted, but merely done in my head. Face it, boring is drawing.
OR repeating. When you move around like i did, time is of the essence.
At the end I had very convincingly created a mist-like universe but didn't know mechanically how to put flesh it out. Comic books were getting stale and superpowers left more and more to be desired. In fact, folks, at 21 I started reading novels, ugh, like my dad. They obliterated old synaptics and connected new ones. I found it more liberating to sketch the author's words in my head than to photograph a supervillian's cover art with my eyes.
I knew writing could bring me back, but how? I hate long projects. I'm an idea guy.
Did I mention that? Once you bring the beautiful seed to its fruition....I'm getting lost in silly metaphors.
I hate long projects. there no darn fun.
How do I take ideas and connect them into a thing called 'Storytelling'?

No comments:

Post a Comment